Sunday, July 6, 2014

Freedom: God bless America (and the world)

I know I'm a few days late for being all patriotic and such, but I don't think it needs to be Independence Day for me to be thankful for where I live.

America. Yeah, we have a lot of downfalls, and we do a lot of stupid stuff here, but how lucky are we? We are free! Free to live our lives without the fear of a ruthless dictator. Free to pursue our hopes and dreams. Free to do what we want with our lives. Free to practice religion and faith, whatever that may be for us. I find that so amazing and am so grateful for it! Even more so when I hear of so many people around the world who don't have this freedom.

Today I went to church with my family, and it wasn't in the basement of a house or out in a cave. I am free to gather with other believers openly to worship and seek out God. So many other people don't have that. So many people are persecuted for their faith and are forced to hide it. And here I am, some Sundays not wanting to go just so I can get a few more winks of sleep.

I have freedom, but do I live freely?

We are a free people, and we have the freedom to elect who will lead us as a nation. Yet just the other day, a couple of my friends were thinking they might not even vote in the next election. They didn't want to have to research. And I don't blame them! It's not an easy process, but it is a freedom that we are blessed with.

We are free, but are we living freely?

Anyone of us would fight fiercely if our freedom was threatened, so why do we always seem to be taking it for granted? We are free indeed. As Americans, and as Christians. All the more so as Christians! Christ has set us free, but I know I for one don't always live like I am. But why? Freedom is so incredible, and whether as Americans or Christians, it has been hard won. Maybe because freedom can seem scary at times or the harder choice. But it wasn't meant to be that way. A caged bird will burst forth into its freedom. Why? Because freedom is oh so very sweet and oh so very precious! And it is oh so worth it.

So, do not pretend you're still in chains. Be free! For you are free indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment